Surely, by now, most people have at least heard of the Amazon Echo
This post uses affiliate links. If you click on my links, I may receive compensation at no extra cost to you. Read my disclosure policy for more info.
Amazon Echo is a hands free smart speaker that you control with your voice. It connects to your WiFi network and your Amazon account using the Amazon Alexa App on your iPhone or Android phone. Once connected to WiFi, you can use your voice to give it voice commands and it is activated with the word “Alexa”.
There are several variations of the Amazon Echo. There is also the smaller version called the Echo Dot. There are two speakers with video also built in called the Echo Show that looks like a small tablet and the Echo Spot which has a circular video screen. The newest version is called the Echo Plus that has a built in hub for controlling Smart Home Devices.
Once you have one set up, the fun begins. Here are a few things you can do with the Amazon Echo family of products:
- Make voice calls with Echo and Echo Dot (import contacts into Alexa app)
- Make video calls with Echo Show and Echo Spot (import contacts into Alexa app)
- Use as an in-home intercom if you have multiple Echos
- Order by
- Get a flash briefing from your favorite News site (load your favorite News site in the Alexa app)
- Get sports updates from your favorite sports teams (load your favorite teams in the Alexa app)
- Set reminders
- Set multiple timers
- Play music from services like Amazon Music, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio and Vevo (connect your streaming music account in the Alexa app)
- Play music across multiple Echos in different rooms of the house
- Control smart home gadgets like lights, locks, things plugged into smart plugs (requires extra hub unless Echo Plus)
- Use as an alarm clock and wake to music
- Use Alexa to make multiple
to-doand shopping lists. Here is a video with examples for creating lists: https://youtu.be/9QBl3cqG6Xg
- And about 70,000 other Alexa skills that can be added
Click HERE to see a full listing of available Amazon Echo Products.
What is your favorite Amazon Alexa skill to use with your Echo? Tell us in the comments below.
Thanks for being part of the Tech Lovin’ Mom community!
Until next time,