This post uses affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy for more info.
International Podcast Day – I had no idea that such a holiday existed until this morning when I opened an email from a Google Certified Trainer/Teacher that I follow. Apparently, not everyone understands just what podcasts are so I decided to make podcasts one of my first posts. If you like binge-watching shows and movies on services like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc., then you would probably enjoy podcasts. Instead of an on-demand TV show, think of it as an on-demand radio show. So if you like talk radio, you would love podcasts.
Most people listen to podcasts while on the go. Some listen to podcasts on their commute to work while others may listen to them when walking the dog or working out. Since most people listen to podcasts on their phone, an app is necessary. If you have an Apple device, you will need to download the Apple Podcasts app. If you have an Android device, you will need to download the Google Podcasts app. There is another app called Stitcher that will work on either kind of phone and your computer. After you have the app, you can then subscribe to some podcasts that interest you.
You can find podcasts on every subject you can possibly imagine. Some you might find interesting (search the titles in the app of your choice):
- Parenting Bytes – From digital dilemmas like managing screen time to new apps and devices that can make parenting easier (or at least more fun), family tech expert Rebecca Levey, along with tech reporter Andrea Smith and blogger Amy Oztan, explores the ups and downs of parenting in the digital age.
- Digital Dads – Brent Basham and Andrew Currie love technology and geek culture almost as much as they love their kids. This show has a lot of heart (particularly when we hear the kids on the mic), and they put a lot of research into their fun topics, like whether redheads may indeed possess superpowers.
- Reply All – A podcast about the internet’ that is actually an unfailingly original exploration of modern life and how to survive it.
- TWiT.tv – This Week in Tech – Smart, insightful, and witty podcasts covering tech with depth and perspective. Tech Reviews. Tablets. Tech News. Smartphones.
- Check This Out – educational podcast – Checking out some cool tools and apps for the classroom. So, check this out!
- Inside the Message by Dr. Doug Sager (my personal favorite!)
Now go out there and find your next great podcast to subscribe to so you too can learn on the go.
If you already listen to Podcasts, what are your favorites? Let us know in the comments.
Happy International Podcast Day!